First, my advice to you, gained through experience. Write a list of your own accomplishments for 2013. You will probably be impressed with what you got done. It's a great way to get some perspective, to see where your stand currently, and to give you an idea of what to do in 2014. I don't do New Year's resolutions, because I'm constantly improving and making minor course adjustments as I learn how to live better.
Here is what I accomplished last year:
- Polished up my 3D modeling demo reel, and added a train model.
- Moved from Santa Cruz to Orange, California, to be closer to the entertainment industry.
- Got my son into school.
- Primarily squeeked by financially by writing hundreds of articles as a freelancer.
- Edited several books.
- Ran the successful Kickstarter for my upcoming novel, Bodacious Creed.
- Published Bodacious Success, an article about how I ran my Kickstarter campaign.
- Created http://bodaciouscreed.com, the book's website.
- Wrote the first 31,400 words of Bodacious Creed during NaNoWriMo.
- Got a car.
- Started this blog, From Idea To Art.
- Read many novels.
Here are the things I've set in motion that will fall into place in 2014:
- Started Bodacious Creed, the novel, which I hope to publish in August.
- Arranged after school day care for my son, so that I can finally get a job outside the house (I'm a single father). He's going to start soon.
- Signed up with temp services and art agencies so that, hopefully, finding work won't take long.
- Began a new modeling project, creating characters from Boacious Creed. I hope to use them to update my demo reel this year.
- Began to study book marketing, and will apply what I learn to my own books.
Those are the major points! What did you accomplish in 2013? I'd love to hear about it!